I am convinced that jetlag is a legitimate sickness, becuase I have been suffering from it the last couple days! I made it here (Barcelona) bright and early Wednesday AM. Despite taking a sleeping pill on the transatlantic leg of my trip, I did not rest very well. It probably had to do with the fact that my seat would not recline and I was on a full flight so I could not change seats. The stewardess offered me a free adult beverage to compensate, which was nice considering they are no longer complimentary with dinner. I sat next to a nice elderly chap from Philadelphia who was heading to Barcelona to go on a Mediterranean cruise like Grandpa L and Gigi. We had a fun and lively conversation until I attempted to sleep.
All my bags made to Barcelona! And did I mention I kept all of them under 50 lbs!?! I know I made my parents proud with that one. I had no trouble getting a taxi and making it to my apartment. I got a tour from my roomate Dani and then we went for coffee and a quick tour of the neighboorhood. I live right across the street form an old and beautiful hospital ( I will post pics at a later date). My neighboorhood is also several blocks from Gaudi's famous and unfinished church La Sagrada Familia. My apartment is "cozy," somewhat small but big enough. I have the second largest roomand am happy with it because it has ample closet space, a desk, and shelves. I will also post pictures of the apartment and my room, but I want to finish unpacking and make my room look "homey" before then.
I haven't done much but sleep the past few days. After my quick tour Wednesday, I collapsed from exhaustion and took a midday nap. Afterward, I went out with my roomate to eat dinner, the first meal I had eaten that day, and then we met up with some of his friends studying abroad from Scotland. I am still getting used to their accents, sometimes I have trouble understanding them! I also am getting used to the Spanish accent. This past year I became so accustomed to the Mexican accent, it's takin a little getting used to. We watched a fireworks display with musical accompaniment at Plaza Espanya as part of the weeklong festival celebration for La Merce.
We came home and I went to bed at about 1:30AM. I didn't wake up until 5:30PM!!! For those of you who know my sleeping habits, that is very rare that I would sleep 16 hours! I ran a few errands but had to come home because I got an awful headache, which I also rarely get. I am happy to report that I slept off the headache and woke up at a decent hour today (10:30AM). I went grocery shopping, bought some hangers and got a lot of emails done. I was planning on goign out to buy a phone this afternoon, but seeing as how it has started raining, I think I will wait a bit. I am lookign forward to finally enjoying the fabulous Barcelona nightlife this weekend!
Friday, September 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Your roommate's name is Dani!!!! It's a sign! and 16 hours of sleep is crazy!!!
I loved reading your post! I'm jealous you have Scottish roommates! Are they cute? haha...But I totally know what you mean about jet lag...it's a killer.
Love you and miss you!
Hey Kris,
Loved reading the entry! I tried to call you on skype this morning because it showed that you were online, yet you ignored my call. pshhh. I hope you are having a good day, and good luck at your orientation on Wednesday!
Jim
They say it takes one day for each hour of time difference to overcome jet lag. Does Barcelona have any 24 hour stores?
Aunt Glenda
My love! How I miss thee. I just booked my flight to Barcelona in March! AHHHH!!!! Womble is coming to visit!!! You better rest up;) Have fun at orientation tomorrow!
besos. womble.
Post a Comment